modularize_sinatra - modular sinatra app generator
July 23, 2013
Sinatra is simple, small and fast.
Sinatra is a DSL for quickly creating web applications in Ruby with minimal effort. - sinatra readme
Lot of times Rails is an overkill for a simple application and Sinatra seems like a perfect choice. Since using Sinatra, you could write all your code in a single file, and at one time it becomes really hard to manage the code and you may feel the need of porting it to a framework like Rails. However, you don’t need all the features that comes with Rails. What you need here is some kind of modularization in your application. For this very purpose I created a gem called modularize_sinatra
modularize_sinatra creates a Rails like MVC structure without the overhead.
What does it do?
It generates the following directory structure, when generated using
modularize_sinatra myapp -C user
It generated some usual ruby files like:
- Gemfile - A format for describing gem dependencies for Ruby programs.
- Rakefile - Contains task to run specs.
- config.ru - Rack configuration file.
- config/environment.rb - Here you could load your configuration files. Hint: Could load configuration given in .yml files
- lib contains directories for placing your controllers and views.
- myapp.rb loads all ruby files inside
Note the lib/models in above point. You could create a directory called
models in lib directory to place your models and it will also be loaded.
- public - To serve public assets.
- script - You could get rid of this directory. This is just a container to put your scripts.
- spec - Place your specifications inside this. modularize_sinatra integrates rspec for you by default.
Please contribute at modularize_sinatra
Comments and suggestions are most welcome.